Friday 28 March 2014

[REVIEW] Karen McCombie's Wonderland


I had just bought this book recently, when I went to the Big Bad Wolf's Big Bad Box Sale. I just love the cover, my type. Not too complicated, just simple and sweet. And there's love and circles! Who can resist that?

So, here's the synopsis at the back.

This year, all Jude wants from Santa is someone worth falling in love with...

Ok, seems harmless enough.

She's always had a weakness for bad boys,

Doesn't everyone do? Duh. (Or it's just me?!)

but might this Christmas be different? Could it be that Jude's finally found the good guy she's been looking for?

A sparkly, spangly, heart-warming novel from best-selling author Karen McCombie.

Totally nailed it. I picked it out, undoubtedly convinced that this is gonna be good.
And what did I expect?

Is it sparkly, spangly and heart-warming like it claimed to be?
Sparkly, maybe.
Spangly? I don't know what that means.
Heart-warming? Big N.O.

Why? It's my problem, seriously. I have this habit when I'm reading books, I'm imagining myself as the protagonist. I blushed, I get angry, I get sad, but as long as I feel that the protagonist is the same as myself.
And this missy Jude here, is so not totally me.

#1. Jude smokes. I don't smoke. I don't understand people smoking. I do not hate smokers, I do not blame them, I can accept them. But I'll excuse myself when they smoke. I hate the smoke, not the smokers.

#2. Jude got a habit of snogging bad boys, eventhough they just met. I never snog boys. It's understandable as it's a Western story, but smooching any boys that you had just met? Whoa, slow down Jude. A kiss should be special, not be given to random strangers. (in my opinion)

#3. Jude's a total rebellious teenager. Piercings on eyebrows? No way. Just no.

#4. She goes partying in a club. I hate clubs, just saying.

Jude's okay, actually. She's just a rebellious character. Its just I question her actions, almost everytime. Her brain just did not work the way mine did.

And what's up with this guy, Gareth? He's sweet and kind, but I'm still confused. Why did he ignore all Jude's messages and calls, but still can give her genuine smiles and grins? If he is acting, then he is really good. I want to know his side of story, what's with his ex-girlfriend, Donna and all.

Not to mention, Neil. The real love interest in the story. Which was only revealed like in the last chapter in the book. I found it a little disturbing. I'd knew in my heart that he's the true hero, because let's say that I, well, read the ending first. I just can't stop myself, haha. I thinks, he should receive moreeee sweet scenes with Jude. And ugh, he and Jude kissed immediately. Jude was just head over heels with Gareth, and when this girl (I forgot her name) told her Neil likes her, she just like, feels nothing at all? And kissed? This story is too fast-paced. Very.

Jude must be so desperate. Pity her.

Am I too innocent? I just cannot accept intimate gestures and actions without a confirmed relationship. Like marriage or in case of English books, mutual feelings, at least. I winced and will complain the plots while reading. I'm such a fun killer, I know. I just did not find romance in those kind of things. Even though I can't deny, does makes my heart skips a beat. But totally not sweet.

And for the record? I found Adam and Dean cute. Muahahaha. Come on, boys that are good with kids and older people? Totally husband worthy.

I sounded like a flirty girl. Ugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment